If you’re like most people, you may think of lasers more as a plot device in science fiction than something that affects your everyday life. However, they are being used more and more often in medical treatments, including dentistry. At our Novi office, we use a dental laser in multiple ways to keep your treatments as convenient and comfortable as possible.
When you come in for any treatment, we will review all of your options to determine if laser treatment is the best solution for you. Dr. Ross, a member of the Academy of Laser Dentistry, will explain everything and answer any questions you have. To schedule a free consultation with him, call 248-697-2487 today.
In the meantime, check out what our dental laser can do:
- Restore Your Gum Health – A laser offers a comfortable way to improve the effectiveness of scaling and root planing, a deep cleaning treatment we use for gum disease. After using a laser to quickly and comfortably remove inflamed gum tissue around your tooth roots, we can more easily remove disease-causing bacteria from that area. This prevents disease from worsening to the advanced stage, where you are at risk of losing teeth.
- Improve Appearance of Gums – A laser can also be used to make cosmetic improvements to your gumline. We can reshape a crooked gumline so it’s even. We can also remove excess tissue that may give your smile an overly gummy look, giving you a more attractive balance between teeth and gums. Unlike some other cosmetic improvements, the results from these treatments are permanent.
- Prepare Teeth for Fillings – We can use our dental laser instead of a drill to prepare your tooth for a filling. This eliminates the sights, sounds, and sensations of the drill. It takes only seconds to remove the decay from your tooth, and it leaves more of your dental structure intact.
- Whiten Your Smile – A laser can also be incorporated into an in-office teeth whitening treatment. The heat from the laser increases the effectiveness of the whitening gel. The treatment only takes about an hour.
- Eliminate Canker Sores and Cold Sores – Cold sores and canker sores can be quite painful, and they obviously look unattractive. It seems like they often happen at the most inopportune times. If you come to see us when you first feel a sore coming on, we may be able to halt its progress with our laser so you won’t have an open sore. If you already have a lesion, the laser will speed its healing. It can also prevent sores from reoccurring.